Monday, July 22, 2013

الشفق


The above are both views from my hotel window in Tetouan, where we spent Saturday evening and most of Sunday.  It is also the location of the achievement of my second spot-the-globalization goals (the first, of course, being the trip to McDonald's): find a copy of the Twilight series in Arabic.  I succeeded in a tiny bookstore that also had Arabic copies of Cien anos de soledad and La guerra del fin del mundo.  Though somewhat tempted I refrained from buying Twilight and instead walked out with a copy of Naguib Mahfouz's Al Tariq.  Probably the better choice.

This brings my book total to half my intended goal - I foresee the next few days will involve at least one tour of the local bookstores and a last minute gift shopping spree.  If you're desperately in need of something from the Maghreb, this is your last chance to tell me.  

Although this week looks to be relatively relaxed in terms of homework, Friday should see me collapsing into a little ball of exhausted Arabic mush.  The final exam of the program begins at 10:00, after an hour review session, and goes to 1:00, at which point I will leave the class building, walk to the program office, and take my OPI.  Needless to say my excitement is overwhelming.

I shall sign off now to get in some work-out time while I have access to water.  I send windy, slightly sunburnt thoughts your way.  




No comments:

Post a Comment